Also known as ETE Locality 1065, Lothagam 1C, Lothagam 1, Lothagam, Lothagam-Upper Nawata
Where: Kenya (2.9° N, 36.1° E: paleocoordinates 2.5° N, 35.3° E)
• coordinate stated in text
• local area-level geographic resolution
When: Upper Nawata and Apak Member (Nawata or Nachukui Formation), Tortonian to Tortonian (11.6 - 2.6 Ma)
• K-Ar dating constrains the Upper Nawata Member to 6.54 +/- 0.04 Ma (Marker Tuff) and 4.22 +/- 0.03 Ma (pumice clasts from 35 m above the top of the Upper Nawata Purple Marker). Thus, top of the Upper Nawata is older than 4.2 Ma, and is estimated to be 5.0 Ma.
• member-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: fluvial; poorly lithified, graded, sandy sandstone and poorly lithified, tuffaceous mudstone
Size classes: macrofossils, mesofossils
Collection methods: bulk, surface (in situ), mechanical, sieve,
• Held at the Kenya National Museums, Nairobi (KNM-LT-). Surface collection.
Primary reference: M. G. Leakey and J. M. Harris. 2003. Lothagam: the dawn of humanity in eastern Africa. Lothagam: the dawn of humanity in eastern Africa 678 [A. Behrensmeyer/R. Bobe/R. Bobe] more details
Purpose of describing collection: paleoecologic analysis
PaleoDB collection 22242: authorized by Anna Behrensmeyer, entered by Anna Behrensmeyer on 30.06.1999, edited by Suzanne Cote and Philip Mannion
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)