Where: Piura, Peru (4.8° S, 80.8° W: paleocoordinates 7.3° S, 73.6° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• local area-level geographic resolution
When: Saman Formation, Late/Upper Eocene (37.2 - 33.9 Ma)
• LITHOSTRATIGRAPHY: From the Saman Fm, which regionally overlies the Restin Fm of the Parinas Gp (Middle Eocene). AGE: Late Eocene (p. 9), on the basis of molluscan biostratigraphy. Foraminifera suggest an upper Eocene age. Olsson states that the Talara and Saman rocks can be referred to the Upper Eocene and in terms of the European section, to the Bartonian and Ludian.....respectively? STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: From unknown position within formation.
• formation-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: coastal; poorly lithified, fine-grained, argillaceous sandstone and poorly lithified conglomerate
Size class: macrofossils
Collection methods: quarrying,
• No museum repositories are reported, but material my presumably be the AMNH of PRI collections. Because of uncertaintly this field is left ommited.
Primary reference: A. A. Olsson. 1930. Contributions to the Tertiary Paleontology of Northern Peru: Part 3, Eocene Mollusca. Bulletins of American Paleontology 17(62):1-164 [A. Miller/A. Hendy/A. Hendy] more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 52523: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 10.08.2005
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)