Where: Pamlico County, North Carolina (35.0° N, 76.8° W: paleocoordinates 35.0° N, 76.8° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Smith Gut Member (Flanner Beach Formation), Middle Pleistocene (0.8 - 0.1 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: From the Smith Gut of the Flanner Beach Fm, which underlies the Beard Creek Mbr. The Flanner Beach Fm is disconforamably overlying the James City Fm, and further overlain by the Core Creek Sand. AGE: Middle Pleistocene, based on a number of dating methods; uranium-series and amino acid dating suggest ~200,000 yrs. STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: From unit A of the Smith Gut Mbr, at the base of the section; sand of 0.5 m thickness.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: coastal; poorly lithified, fine-grained, medium, shelly/skeletal, muddy sandstone
Size class: macrofossils
Preservation: original aragonite, shellbed
Collected by Miller
Collection methods: surface (in situ),
• COLLECTOR: W. Miller III. REPOSITORY: Not stated in text.
Primary reference: W. Miller III. 1985. The Flanner Beach Formation (Middle Pleistocene) in eastern North Carolina. Tulane Studies in Geology and Paleontology 18(3):93-122 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy] more details
Purpose of describing collection: general faunal/floral analysis
PaleoDB collection 91489: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 29.09.2009
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)