Also known as Valle de Traslasierra - Paso del Río Arriba and Pedernara Cliffs
Where: Córdoba, Argentina (31.8° S, 65.0° W: paleocoordinates 31.9° S, 64.0° W)
• coordinate stated in text
• small collection-level geographic resolution
When: Brochero Formation, Chapadmalalan (4.0 - 3.0 Ma)
• It is very difficult to determine the age of deposition of the Brochero Formation of Traslasierra Valley. The fossil fauna of vertebrates recorded from the Brochero Formation allows us to propose 3 hypothesis regarding the age on the basis of the biochrons discussed above, the best hypothesis is that this assemblage may be Chapadmalalan in age. However more studies should be done.
•Cruz 2013: It corresponds to the biostratigraphic mammal assemblage 3) Nonotherium hennigie Propanochthus bullifer assemblage zone with type area and profile based on the Los Sauces river, Valle de Traslasierra, referred to the MontehermosaneChapadmalalan interval (Pliocene)
• group of beds-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: "floodplain"; poorly lithified sandstone
Size classes: macrofossils, mesofossils
Collected by Castellanos in 1936, 1942, 1944 etc.
• Castellanos (1942, 1944) described from Valle de Traslasierra (Fig. 1) at least seven sites where outcropping sediments were assigned to his BBrocherense,^ but only three with fossils (Los Chiflones stream, Paso del Río Arriba Cliffs, and Heredia Cliffs, see point 2, 4, and 5, respectively in Fig. 1). All these cliffs have been identified in different field trips from 2009 to 2016.
Primary reference: L. E. Cruz, J. C. Fernicola, and C. A. Carignano. 2018. New Vertebrates of the Brochero Formation (Córdoba, Argentina): A Review of the Pliocene of Central Argentina. Journal of Mammalian Evolution 25:315-326 [P. Mannion/M. Kouvari] more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 197905: authorized by Philip Mannion, entered by Miranta Kouvari on 28.11.2018
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)