Where: Tarija, Bolivia (22.0° S, 65.4° W: paleocoordinates 22.3° S, 62.2° W)
• coordinate stated in text
• local area-level geographic resolution
When: Honda Group, Serravallian (13.7 - 11.6 Ma)
• The formation is apparently unnamed. MacFadden et al., indicate that the locality is constrained by 40K/40Ar ages of 12.83 ± 0.11 Ma and 11.96 ± 0.11 Ma, and that the local magnetostratigraphy is correlated to chrons C5AA through C5A on the MPTS. The extrapolated age for the fossil mammals (based on paleomag) is 13.0 to 12.7 Ma = Laventan SALMA. Although specific statigraphic data were taken for the specimens collected by MacFadden and Wolff, these data were not provided in the publication. MacFadden et al. (1990) indicate that most of the fossil mammals come from a zone "between about 25 to 82 m within our composite measured section."
•(From Brandoni et al., 2018): MacFadden et al. (1990) correlated the two basalmost local paleomagnetic zones of the Quebrada Honda outcrops – from which most fossils derive – to C5AAn and C5Ar.3r of the geomagnetic polarity time scale (GPTS), resulting in an extrapolated age of ca.13.0–12.7 Ma. This corresponds to a slightly older interval (13.2–12.9 Ma) within the Serravallian Age (13.8–11.6 Ma; Gradstein et al. 2012) based on the most recent iteration ofthe GPTS (Ogg 2012).
• group of beds-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: fluvial; silty, calcareous claystone and silty, sandy siliciclastic
•From MacFadden et al., (1990): "These sections consist of about 300 m of principally fine-grained fluviatile sediments with predominant lithologies reddish brown and yellowish-green silty clays, silts, and fine sands. There are also coarser, lenticular challen sands and gravels, but these are localized."
Size classes: macrofossils, mesofossils
Reposited in the MNHN, MNHN (La Paz)
Collection methods: surface (float), surface (in situ), mechanical,
• Specimens are also curated at Florida Museum of Natural History.
Primary reference: R. Hoffstetter. 1977. Un gisement de mammifères miocènes à Quebrada Honda (sud Bolivien). Comptes Rendus de la Académie des Sciences, Paris, Sèrie D 284:1517-1520 [D. Croft/D. Croft/D. Croft] more details
Purpose of describing collection: general faunal/floral analysis
PaleoDB collection 38071: authorized by Darin Croft, entered by Darin Croft on 08.04.2004, edited by Andrés Cardenas, Mark Uhen, Evangelos Vlachos and Patricia Holroyd
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)