Also known as "Burghersdorp"
Where: Northern Cape, South Africa (28.7° S, 24.8° E: paleocoordinates 62.5° S, 38.6° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Whitehill Formation (Ecca Group), Artinskian (290.1 - 279.5 Ma)
• No formational name is given by Seeley (1892). The geographic position of Kimberley suggests that the fossils come from either the Prince Albert or the Whitehill Fm. of the Ecca Group (see fig. 24 in Catuneanu et al., 2005, Afr. J. Earth Sci. 43). Also, Rossmann (2000) explicitly states that the type specimens are from the Whitehill Formation.
•Radiometric ages of the Collinson Fm. (overlying the Whitehill Fm.) vary between 270 and 275 Ma (Turner, 1999, J. Afr. Earth Sci. 28(1); Fildani et al., 2007 J. Sedim. Res. 77), and radiometric ages of the basal beds of the Prince Albert Fm. (underlying the Whitehill Fm.) vary between 293 and 285 Ma (Bangert et al., 1999, J. Afr. Earth Sci. 29(1)), implying an Artinskian age for the Whitehill Fm. (cf. time scales of Gradstein et al. (2004) and Ogg et al. (2008)). Radiometric dating within the Whitehill Fm. of southern Namibia (Werner, 2006, PhD thesis, http://www.opus-bayern.de/uni-wuerzburg/volltexte/2007/2175/pdf/00-Complete_thesis-STD.pdf) corroborates an assigment to the Artinskian.
• formation-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: offshore; white, calcareous shale and poorly lithified shale
Size class: macrofossils
Collected in 1878; reposited in the BMNH
Collection methods: quarrying,
• Plaster casts of BMNH 49971 and 49972 are reposited in the collections of the Museum für Naturkunde Berlin (Liebrecht & Müller, 2009). A plaster cast of one specimen of the type series (apparently not the one figured by Seeley, 1892, fig. 1 pl. 18) is reposited under SMF-R-4953 in the collections of the Senckenberg Museum, Frankfurt/Main.
Primary reference: H. G. Seeley. 1892. The Mesosauria of South Africa. Quarterly Journal of the Geological Society of London 48:586-604 [J. Mueller/T. Liebrecht] more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 90257: authorized by Johannes Mueller, entered by Torsten Liebrecht on 15.07.2009
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)