Also known as Iraty; Paraná Basin
Where: Paraná, Brazil (25.5° S, 50.7° W: paleocoordinates 45.8° S, 29.7° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Irati Formation (Passa Dois Group), Artinskian (290.1 - 279.5 Ma)
• Karl et al. (2007) state that the fossils come from the Irati Formation but only give "Early Permian (=Cisuralian)" as the most precise age specification. However, in a quite recent publication it is stated that the Irati Formation is Artinskian in age, based on absolute ages obtained from zircons from a bentonite layer (Santos et al., 2006, Gondwana Res. 9).
• member-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: offshore; black shale
Size class: macrofossils
Collected by P. Dusén, among others in 1909, 1959; reposited in the MfN
• GZG.V = Vertebrate Collection of Geoscience Center of Göttingen University (Geowisschenschafliches Zentrum der Universität Göttingen)
•Two of the three unnumbered Irati specimens in the MfN collections are accompanied by a label with the inscription "Fran: Riksmuseets Zoo-Palaeontologiska Afd. STOCKHOLM". Specimen MB.1960.12 formerly was reposited in the collections of the Palaeontological Museum of the University of Rio Grande do Sul (coll. no. 991193, previously 2664).
Primary reference: H.-V. Karl, E. Gröning, and C. Brauckmann. 2007. The Mesosauria in the collections of Göttingen and Clausthal: implications for a modified classification. Clausthaler Geowissenschaften 6:63-78 [J. Mueller/T. Liebrecht] more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 90323: authorized by Johannes Mueller, entered by Torsten Liebrecht on 16.07.2009
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)