Where: Cumberland County, New Jersey (39.5° N, 75.4° W: paleocoordinates 39.7° N, 70.9° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• local area-level geographic resolution
When: Shiloh Marl Member (Kirkwood Formation), Early/Lower Miocene (23.0 - 16.0 Ma)
• No lithostratigraphic details or stratigraphic relationships provided in text. Equivalent in age and slightly older than the Calvert Formaiton of Maryland and Virginia. Overlain by the Cohansey Sand with a time transgressive contact, Kirkwood Formation is Burdigalian-Langhian in age.
• member-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: coastal; unlithified, argillaceous, silty mudstone and pebbly sandstone
Size class: macrofossils
Reposited in the USNM
• Collections reposited in USNM and USGS collections. Marl pits dug near the town of Jericho. None are productive at the present time (1942), although a few fossils were found at the former "Elwell Pits", on Bishop Run, south of Jericho.
Primary reference: H. G. Richards and A. Harbison. 1942. Miocene invertebrate fauna of New Jersey. Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia 94:167-250 [A. Miller/A. Hendy] more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 59336: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 26.03.2006, edited by Pete Wagner
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)